The college is named after Rev. C.F. Andrews, a celebrated saint, philanthropist, a trustworthy friend of the downtrodden and a dedicated warrior of Indian Freedom Struggle. He was also an eminent disciple of Mahatma Gandhi and a close confidant of Kabiguru Rabindranath Tagore. His great love for the people of India and excellent services and sacrifice for the suffering millions of our Motherland, More especially for emancipation of the bonded labourers in this country and abroad are a constant source of inspiration to all the constituents of the college - its administration, staff members and students.
The college was basically constituted at the fringe of this semi-urban zone of 24 Parganas (South) district with an aim to disseminate the scope of higher education to a huge number of children of the displaced persons from erstwhile East Pakistan, presently Bangladesh. Moreover, our institution is also providing immense opportunities of higher education to a large number of rural and urban students, a substantial number of which belong to scheduled castes, other disadvantaged and marginalised sections of the society. Initially, the college was providing education in a few specified subjects to only 750 to 1000 students. But at present the roll strength has reached almost 5000 as the college is now offering Advanced Courses in 12 subjects in Science, Arts and Commerce stream along with General courses.