Heramba Chandra College, a premier co-educational institution is popularly known as South City Day College. Situated in Golpark, the cultural hub of South Kolkata, it boasts of a long glorious history. The lush green lawn spotted with colourful flowers and plants right in the approach to the college building creates an eco-friendly atmosphere conducive to mental growth and openness of mind. In the history of our nation City College needs to be remembered not only for its pioneering efforts in the field of education in our country, but also for the fact that it is the embodiment of the liberal spirit of those master-minds that enriched the nineteenth century renaissance in India. A genuine humanistic approach to education is practised here so that students feel free to reciprocate the loving, warm and friendly relationship that teachers form with them. This age-long tradition of endearing student-teacher relationship, a crying need of the tension-packed modern age, is a rich legacy laid down by the ancestors of this group of colleges. The college celebrated its golden jubilee with great fervour in the year 2006.
The City College of today had its modest beginnings in the City School, which was founded on January 6, 1879 by the Sadharan Bhrahmo Samaj, Late Ananda Mohan Bose, the then President of Samaj had borne the initial expenses of the foundation of the school. Late Sivanath Sastri and other prominent members of the Society were also associated in founding the school.
In 1881, only two years after its establishment, the City School was raised to the rank of a College when F.A. classes were started. Since then, the college made rapid strides towards the advancement of higher education. The BA Course was opened in 1884 and thus within five years of its establishment, the institution developed into a first grade college.
In January 1905, City College was placed under the control of a society registered under Act XXI of 1860 called, "The City College Institution", which came to be known as Brahma Samaj Education Society. At present it has been taken over from the Brahmo Samaj by the Government and is now a Government-aided College.
The Commerce Department of City College was started in 1939 with a view to making education cater to the practical and vital needs of the time. With the progress and expansion of trade,
commerce and industry realized that education in Commerce Subject was also essential to create trained personnel who would assume leadership in the fields of industry and commerce.
In view of the prevailing disturbances prevailing then, it was decided that education was to be provided at an institution in a safe zone for the students of South Calcutta. An institution was started in November 1946, at the premises of the South Suburban Branch School at Lansdowne Road. In July 1952 the South Calcutta Branch had to be shifted to the premises at 50 Mahim Halder Street, Kalighat. The Late Horendra Coomer Mukherjee, the then popular Governor of West Bengal, laid the foundation stone of the present South Calcutta Building on January 6, 1954. The opening ceremony of the South Calcutta Building was performed on January 6, 1955. With effect from June 1, 1961, the South City College Branch of the City College branched off into three separate colleges, namely Sivanath Sastri College (Morning), Herambachandra College (Day) and Prafullachandra College (Evening).
Thus was born Heramba Chandra College. The college is marching ahead with its academic flag held high by meritorious performances by students both in the academic field and in the field of sports. Earning a B+ rating from the NAAC Peer Team in 2016, the College offers Honours in Accounting and Finance and also in Honours Courses in Bangla, Economics, Education, English, Geography, History and Political Science. The students can also take up Statistics and Mathematics as Generic Elective subjects. Educating students for more than 60 years the college has won a reputation as one of the leading colleges in South Calcutta.
The college believes in all round development of students who have infinite potentialities hidden in their minds and hearts. Our Photography Club is very active in organising programmes like Photo Walk. Other clubs such as Mountaineering Club, Debating Club, Drama Club and Nature Club are awaiting to welcome the students. Regular excursions by Departments and Student Unions are organized. Achievements in the field of Sports stand out conspicuously. Students, both individually and in groups, have won several trophies. Social uplift programmes without which the humanitarian thrust of education is lost are also organized. The St. Johns Ambulance and NSS of the college are always there to lend humanitarian support. This college not only prepares students to step into the wide world with boldness and confidence but also provides them with concrete benefits such as arranging for their placement. Much to their satisfaction many companies visit this college to provide recruitment.
The Principal and all staff members welcome all students to this college and wish them every success in life.
Modern Indian Language (Bengali/ Hindi) or Communicative English
Compulsory Subject in the 2nd Semester (B.A/ B.Sc) and in the 6th Semester (B.Com)