Sarala Ray, popularly known as Mrs. P. K. Ray, a great social reformer and educationist, founded the Gokhale Memorial Girls' School in 1920. A pioneer among Bengali women to aspire for Higher Education, she was one of the first Indian women to acquire a University degree. As a social reformer Sarala Ray's primary objective was not merely to churn out women graduates but to train and guide women to become worthy citizens, capable home-builders and conscientious workers in their chosen field of activity.
The Institution is named after Gopal Krishna Gokhale, a distinguished teacher, educationist and freedom fighter. This great patriot of India fervently believed that a wide diffusion of female education in all its branches is a crucial determinant of the true welfare of a nation. Greatly inspired by his ideals and educational aspirations for women, Sarala Ray founded the Institution as a memorial to Gokhale, to serve the cause of education of girls in the country.
Dr. S. E. Rani Ghosh was the first Principal of College. She served it from its inception in 1938 till her death on 18th November 1961. A true educationist and believer in woman's emancipation, she nurtured the Institution from an Intermediate College of Arts and Science to a Three Year Degree College. Under her able guidance, the Institution gained a wide reputation and lived up to the expectations of Gokhale and Sarala Ray.